On August 14, 1870, a small band of Christians met
to organize a ‘regular missionary Baptist Church’.
In 1875, the church built its first building,
a one-room white frame church.
By 1897, the church, now officially "First Baptist Church",
had grown to over a hundred members
and had moved into a brand new brick church building,
located downtown at E University Ave and NE 2nd St
near the site of Gainesville’s current city hall.
In order to meet the needs of a growing university city,
a new church facility was a necessity.
Construction began in August, 1923 at 425 West University Avenue.
The new 1200-seat sanctuary was completed
and the first service was held on September 14, 1924.
The church began several mission churches over the coming years:
Eastside Baptist Chapel,
Southside Baptist Church (Now Country Side Baptist Church),
Parkview Baptist Church,
Westside Baptist Chapel (Now Westside Baptist Church)
and Tower Road Baptist Church.
In 2005, our church felt called to consider our ministry in Gainesville;
after a 90-day period of discernment and prayer,
the congregation voted on May 1, 2005, to relocate
to a new 23-acre site west of the city,
at the intersection of NW 39th Avenue and NW 143rd Street (CR 241.)